Skip to main content

Week 3 - What makes me special?

What makes me special is that I have a desire to want to be an effective, awesome and amazing teacher.  I have been fortunate enough to work with a diverse range of students from private schools to decile one schools and students with varying capacities and disability including cognitive, physical, intellectual, neurological and sensory.

I believe I am special due to my proactive approach and genuine desire for all children to have the same opportunity as every other child.  I have a son who was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum and after fighting hard for his rights and advocating on behalf of him my baby has had an amazing mainstream education thanks to the wonderful teachers who were part of his life.  It is a community service and privilege to be able to work with the future members of our community and help shape and mould these individuals through providing them with a wonderful educational experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7 - Find a whakatauki and kiwaha to explain your teaching philosophy

Ka mate kainga tahi, ka ora kainga rua I have chosen this particular Whakatauki as I have always believed that when one door closes another will open.  With every death there is a rebirth, a new beginning. Every failure is an opportunity in disguise. While we sometimes associate death with grief and loss, death is also a reminder that it is an end of a particular moment or period in time but with every sunset there’s a sunrise, new horizons.  No matter what stage you are in life there are always opportunities for fresh starts and new beginnings. Opportunities to put an end to things that don’t work. We may stray off our life paths but there are always opportunities to reset and start again.  And that’s what this means to me. OPPORTUNITIES “when one door closes another opens”.

Ko wai ahau

Ko Mataatua toku waka Ko Ngati Awa me Ngai Tuhoe toku iwi Ko Patuwai toku hapu Ko Putauaki toku maunga Ko Ohinemataroa toku awa Ko Pupuaruhe toku marae Toroa te Tipuna whare Kia Whakatane Ahau References Link to marae   https://maorimaps.com/marae/pupuaruhe-toroa Link to waka   https://www.geni.com/people/Toroa-Captain-of-the-Mataatua-Waka/6000000013444444735 Link to awa https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/2712/ohinemataroa-river Link to ngati awa https://teara.govt.nz/en/ngati-awa/print Link to ngai tuhoe   https://teara.govt.nz/en/ngai-tuhoe/print

Week 8 - Before practicum how has some of your thinking around teaching changed or been further enhanced?

My thinking didn’t take into account my emotive feelings.  Sometimes I build unrealistic expectations and overestimate my abilities and confidence so prior to commencing the micro lessons I felt quite confident.  Upon commencement of the lesson I had a moment of fear, anxiety and panic mixed into one and felt quite overwhelmed. This experience was further enhanced due to having strong confident peers who picked up the deficit and helped set the platform. With regards to the actual delivery and planning of lessons I believe that it is really important for me to consider creating activities that are more challenging and can push a student to explore their potential.  While considering the development and creation of more complex and difficult activities and resources I also need to keep in mind how I can nurture students at the other end of the spectrum to build their confidence and desire to learn.